First of all, I gave in and bought a new daypack. I am a huge fan of LLBean, but after 9 years and a week of non stop rain my Turbo Transit pack is approaching retirement. Its molded throughout and some of the lining is starting to come off from the bottom compartment, making my things full of bits of plastic and fabric. While this bag has been great for school, it hasn't been ideal for the mountain climate.
My new favorite brand? Lafuma, a French brand that makes all kinds of products, including backpacks. The best thing about Lafuma packs? They all have built in rain covers. ESSENTIAL! Check it out:
http://www.departmentofgoods.com/lafuma-eco-28-backpack-1700cu-in
I like to think that I am pretty savvy when it comes to outdoor products, but every time I browse online I find yet another brand or product that is new or different. Its always good to know what brands and types of jackets, hiking boots, waterproof bags will work best for whatever adventure I undertake next. Plus I am just a fan of online shopping.
Lately I have also been reflecting on what to do for New Years. Last year my resolution was to brush my teeth every morning, which was not a regular part of my routine (gross I know, but I could just never remember!). There have only been a handful of times in 2010 that I have not brushed my teeth in the morning: now its automatic. But what to do for 2011, since I have pearly whites? I think I am going to try and do something more challenging.
For those that know me, I am huge meat lover. Pizza hut meat lover's pizza, turkey, chicken...I like meat. Bacon on my hamburger? Yes please. And I have been thinking to myself...what if I tried going vegetarian? For at least 6 months, just to try it? And the for the next year? Some of my reasoning is as follows:
-it is healthy. Avia is living proof that a healthy diet of fruits and veggies doesn't hurt anyone. And I could definitely use more fruits and veggies in my diet.
-the challenge. We are supposed to challenge ourselves in the new year, dare ourselves to be better. this fits the bill.
-it wouldn't be that hard...food here in Costa Rica is fresh fruits and veggies. Its a regular part of people's diet, and is affordable and plentiful. So it wouldn't be hard to cook, just to keep stocked.
-I eat lots of beans. I wouldn't be completely cutting protien from my diet, I would just have to make sure I am getting plenty.
-Meat is not usually on my shopping list. Just ask my roomies from last year...I occasionally bought jamon serrano or fish, but not chicken or red meat. I would be saving money since meat is usually a little more expensive.
We will see...I am still looking forward to ham sandwiches when I go home for Christmas...that is why this would be a New Year's resolution, haha!
Speaking of Christmas, we are still experiencing December weather here in Monteverde. It is windy and cool, cold even. I wear two layers and my raincoat, which doubles as a windbreaker. I wish I had brought a hat! and more socks. This has apparently been an uncharacteristically dry October...But I am loving. Way better than rain and wind! At least all my clothes are dry.
Speaking of clothes, I have to do laundry. SOON. Its been about 3 weeks...at least I still have clean underwear! Hopefully this weekend. What I wouldn't give for a washer and dryer...!!!
Pura Vida
0 comments:
Post a Comment