reverse culture shock

I've officially been home for one week.

Last Wednesday I got Starbucks and got sick...my brother brought home breadsticks which did not agree with me. Or maybe the combination of tea and breadsticks was a bad idea?? In any case I felt like crap overnight, and all day the following day. I also got my haircut. (see picture!)
My brother and I put up the Christmas tree and brought up numerous boxes of Christmas decorations. The pesebre (manger scene) is set up, and so are the felt stockings that hang over the fireplace. The house smells like pine with the REAL Christmas tree...Mom and I picked it out at Lowe's, and she is very pleased with it: the shape is "just right," according to her. The best part for me was taking out all the old ornaments we have, things we made as kids and reminiscing. The last couple days my Christmas playlist has been on repeat...
But amidst the familiar I am also thrown with how different things are here in the USA. The snow for one, was a huge shock. I ran out of the plane into the warm airport, only to find out my mom had forgotten to bring my coat. I have yet to go sledding...but it seems like a crazy thing to do in the cold. At some point I think I'll go with my brother...
Also driving everywhere. If there is no car at home, I am STUCK! The bank is a half hour walk away, the nearest grocery store is even farther, to go anywhere you have to have a car to get there. I miss being able to walk down the street, or catch a taxi. I have gotten used to not having a car, to not depending on one for transportation. Its wierd, and frustrating at times. Things I have forgotten...little things that make life in Costa Rica so much easier! Those Ticos have public transportation down, thats for sure.
Also the amount of stuff!! A few days ago I made a smoothie with the blender, this morning I used the toaster, yesterday night I used the microwave, this morning i baked in the oven, I am doing laundry downstairs with the washer & dryer. I have none of these things at home...and sometimes I miss them, but I also realize that they are not essentials. What a simple life I live in my cabina in comparison. But I don't feel deprived.
My wardrobe too. I had forgotten how many sweaters I have, all my winter clothes that are here! There are sweatshirts, t-shirts, socks in abundance here in my dresser. But on the whole...I would hav been fine with the basics I brought with me. I feel a little silly having so much, and having things I don't use. Simplify, simplify...
Its been interesting to compare lifestyles. I think I know which one I like more... :)

Only four days until Navidad! All my gifts are wrapped! I think I will be helping mom and my brothers with last minute wrapping...

Pura Vida

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Write here, about you and your blog.
 
Copyright 2009 Aventuras Ticas All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes