Reflection on my arrival to Costa Rica May 13th, 2010.
"Pura Vida: Third First Impressions"
The first thing I noticed was the smell.
Humidity started to seep through my pores, the air was full of dust, car exhaust, recent rain.
I had forgotten how the language sounded, “pura vida” fell on my ears again and again. A slow smile formed on my lips.
Glancing down at my wrists the words jumped out at me, inked onto my skin, part of me…pura vida. I felt like I was home.
I was back in Costa Rica.
This weekend I have little planned: tonight visiting downtown with a friend, doing all the laundry I can tomorrow, weather permitting, Sunday a birthday party for a friend and a possible visit from Elliott.
I have some exciting news for the New Year: in January I will be working with groups again, with college students from Maine for 3 weeks. I will be travelling to Heredia and then spend a week in Monteverde. I am really looking forward to getting back into ACTION! In fact my mind has already formed a tentative packing list...
The house is not as cozy as I would like these days. The wind gets in every nook and cranny! The last few nights I have been sleeping with socks and three top layers...with my hood over my head. But being the pinche (or cheap) person I am, I do not want to spring for a new blanket here when I have so many at home! Surviving...but I am almost out of clean socks. Thus the laundry tomorrow.
Pura Vida
0 comments:
Post a Comment