Just ate a great meal of butter soup (celery, carrots, potatoes, peas, barley, tomato juice and browned butter) and ham sandwiches (ham and sandwich buns). Mom and I busted out the white zinfandel and drank the whole bottle, almost. I think Dad had only one glass! We left the tablecloth on for tomorrow, and I made a pumpkin pie for dessert tonight (which could have turned out much better, but at least I got a taste of pumpkin pie this year : )
The house is winding way down, with Uncle Dennis long gone to his quiet apartment, Nate back from work, Peter STILL at work, and John and I on our respective laptops. Avia is already in bed, and Mom is organizing the kitchen for tomorrow. Dad is in front of the tv, as usual. The fire in the fireplace is dying down and Mom has an old Christmas tape playing in the background. I still have to listen to John Denver's Rocky Mountain Christmas, haha! A classic here at Casa Williams.
I'm thrilled to be home right now. This is exactly what I imagined, during months of anticipation and pangs of homesickness. Quiet moments with the manger scene, the Christmas tree glowing, and the family relaxing. The house isn't always this tranquil, especially with all of 6 of us home. It makes me appreciate this moment that much more... Tomorrow morning we will have a leisurely breakfast and go to mass together, and then open gifts around lunch, and have a casual meal in the evening, since Mom is exhausted after the last couple days. I think its a simple pasta meal on the menu tomorrow night, accompanied by some good bread and wine.
I am heading up to bed, to curl up under my two comforters in my fleece pjs and wake up to my final day at home: Christmas Day.
Feliz Navidad, and lots of hugs!
Pura Vida
twas the night before Christmas and in the Williams house...
Posted by
meggie4987
on Friday, December 24, 2010
0 comments:
Post a Comment