This is the last day of my two week stay in San Joaquin de Flores, Heredia.
I am going to miss it a lot! The last two weeks have been great: getting to know my group, my new Familia Tica, the sunshine, going to La Carpio, riding the buses and going across the street to the mini-super.
I love Monteverde, but there is just somthing so comfy and familiar about being in San Joaquin. Its the people, and the place...I may not know it as well, but it also holds a special place in my heart.
One thing I have liked is accessibility. Being so close to the city, things are cheaper and much closer together. Walking to the big supermarket is not the trek it is in Monteverde: and the mall here is close, food is cheap, and right across the street I can get a coke or cookie after lunch. The actual town of San Joaquin is really nice too, a quiet little suburb of Heredia. Its no wonder there are so many families, kids, and quiet barrios around here. There aren't many bars, not too much traffic, and plenty of nice homes. This is the kind of place I could see myself settling down in...
Today my group did a final day of volunteering in La Carpio with the Costa Rican Humanitarian Foundation. We played all morning with kids in the Montessori school, which the group agreed has been the coolest thing they've done. They got to play with kids one-on-one and make friends...the games we focused on were all interactive and developmental, designed to help learn basic skills (tactile, counting, language). Tomorrow the group heads to Arenal Volcano, and I am free until I meet up with them again in Monteverde. Not sure yet what my weekend plans are, but I want to try and hit the beach...I have a great base tan now, might as well try and soak up some more sun before returning to the mountains and my indoor job! All I know for sure is that I will definitely be back in the mountains by Sunday night.
Vamos a ver!
Pura Vida : )
0 comments:
Post a Comment