aventuras NICAS

Saludos fom Nicaragua!

It has been officially a few hours since I arrived here in Nicaragua. Right now I am updating from the computer in the hostel.

This morning was quite an adventure. Sarah and I got up at 3:15am to catch a 4:30am bus...which never showed up. We risked missing our bus to Nicaragua by not leaving asap, and the office to buy a seperate ticket to Nicaragua would leave us stranded until Friday...so we paid $50 to taxi down the mountain to the bus stop. The taxi driver gained a customer, that is for sure. I will be calling him again once back in Monteverde! The fault lies with the bus company of Monteverde...they left several people (20 or so in all) waiting faithfulyy for that bus, which never arrived.
Drom the Panamerican highway we caught our bus to Nicaragua, slept fitfully, passed customs, and got off in Granada. We made it to our hostel after a brief taxi ride, and spent the remainder of the day exploring, finishing with $3 piƱa coladas.

First impressions:

Colors.
Every building is vibrant, bright, alive. I love it! It makes everything so much more beautiful and memorable. Our hostel is a lovely shade of blue from outside.
Men.
This comes across as rude, but Nicas (Nicaraguan men) are generally ugly and agressive. Yes there are some exceptions ("el es guapo," Sarah told me), but then I am taken aback by the kissy noises and comments. NO THANK YOU!
Architecture.
The buildings here are old and beautiful, with high ceilings and tiled floors. There is an old church that houses the central market, and there are two Cathedrals that are distinct: one being left historically as it has always been, and another bordering the central park and is immmaculately kept.
Mangoes and hot dogs.
I plan to eat some in the next few days...they are plentiful on every corner, at almost every kiosk.
Heat.
It is hot. What was I thinking wearing pants?? I switched to shorts immediately. Tomorrow I will be hanging out by the pool for sure.
Spanish.
My Spanish is distinctly Costa Rican. And I am proud of it.
Sarah.
I AM SO GLAD TO HAVE COMPANY!!!!!! Loving every minute.

Ok. Going to bed and possibly reading a book...I have yet to fully peruse the hostel's little library. Or try the hammocks!

PURA VIDA!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Write here, about you and your blog.
 
Copyright 2009 Aventuras Ticas All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes