Today in conversation with some co-workers I shared the story of how last weekend I went to Rio Celeste with Elliott and his family....And how I passed for Tica. We were talking about how in regular conversation Ticos use a lot of slang words, or "pachuco" instead of speaking clear and simple Spanish. This makes it very hard for a beginner in the language to understand or follow a conversation between two native speakers...there is so much slang, they would just end up being confused (perfect example here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf76qGmVZw8)! Many foreigners can't hide the fact that they are foreign...me being an exception.
I have a Tico accent. That is to say, my Spanish is Costa Rican. To hear me speaking with someone from Spain or Nicaragua, my intonation and speaking style are different and reflect the amount of time I have spent here. When I went to Rio Celeste with all the Bolivars, who are very dark (I am white), they told me to just speak naturally and throw in some slang, and say that I am from Heredia. In the end I didn't have to say a word, I just went about my business and Elliott paid the fee for nationals for me (800 colones, vs. 5000 for foreigners).
I still have a long way to go before I get mistaken for Tica, though.
Ticas are very conscious of image...even if you don't have the greatest figure, you play everything to the best advantage and you never leave the house without your face on.
Putting on makeup and perfume are daily rituals, and going without makes you feel incomplete or unkempt. Most women keep a little bag with them of key make-up items, to touch up as needed. Eye shadow is HUGE here, and is worn in every shade no matter how well it works with your skin tone. It usually matches clothing...so if you see a purple shirt, don't be surprised to see purple eye shadow, even if it is not the best color for that individual. Many brands here are sold through catalogs, like Avon or Mary Kay back in the USA. Avon is actually very popular here! Most brands that are typical in the USA (Maybelline, Revlon, Cover Girl) are much more expensive here. So get your Great Lash in the USA! My make-up routine was previously ZERO, but now I put on a little bit of mascara and some brown eye-liner, maybe black liner and a little light gold shadow to dress up. All I lack is the foundation. I also put on perfume every day now...leaving without it I do feel incomplete. But this was something that I picked up over a year ago, and did when I was a senior in college. I have my signature scent that I always use.
Clothes are always fashionable, clean, ironed (when applicable), and match. In the USA we are much more informal, going in gym shorts and a tee shirt, flip flops or athletic shoes to the grocery store or the mall. Here that is unthinkable. Gym shorts, tee shirts and athletic shoes are exclusively for the gym. Clothing styles range from glam, to preppy to punk or beach babe. My style has grown from utility to elegant (thanks to my obsession with Audrey Hepburn) and while I do not iron my jeans, I try to look more put together than I used to do.
Even wearing flip flops can be a give-away of being foreign...here women wear sandals, real sandals with straps and designs and always have their nails done. If it's not sandals it's heels, pumps, or something to give you a little boost, as Ticas in general are a little on the short side. And whatever kind of shoes you are wearing, they should match your clothing. I am in dire need of some heels...I like wedges a lot, as they are a little more comfortable and stable, and lucky me my husband is taller than I am so I don't look silly next to him.
Hair is also different. Here highlights, low lights, dye jobs are common and an important part of personal maintenance. Getting your hair straightened too is a big deal, as a quality straightener is expensive and hair sometimes doesn't cooperate with heat and humidity. Here long hair is the norm, and it is always swept back, gelled, or done with a lot of care. Throwing your hair up into a ponytail or quick bun looks a little messy sometimes. In the USA we are all about simplicity and expedience, and we often have our hair-ties on our wrists, instead of in our purse or on a key-chain. Ticas are very, very well groomed in the sense that hair and it's upkeep are a priority. My hair? Well, I am getting it cut this afternoon. And a straightener is on my list of things to buy while at home.
What is the bottom line? That Ticas are always "arregladas" or "put together" and sometimes gringas aren't so much. I may not look Tica a lot of the time, but I do have a more acute sense of personal presentation, and a heightened awareness of what does or doesn't look acceptable. My style is for sure changing, becoming a little more Tica. But I am still myself, 100% of the time.
Pura Vida
1 comments:
Hey Meggie!
I absolutely had to comment because although we live way across the world from each other now, I feel we've had a couple of the same experiences. Here in Sweden everyone is so put together and fashionable, I never wear a t-shirt, gym shorts, and flip flops except at home anymore. If I'm going out in public, I have to look fashionable. Luckily the hair thing isn't so huge here...many Swedes have hairdos that would seem totally wacky to Americans. But I like it, I ponder quite often what I could do with my hair now. But I feel like we have the same experience when it comes to being less "sloppy looking" and being more fashionable all the time!
/Jessica
Post a Comment