"you say goodbye, and i say hello" -The Beatles

Its a Monday here at CPI Monteverde, and the clouds have decended, obscuring the forest and gulf from view. I greeted my new group, Rollins University, an hour and a half ago and sent them to their classes for the afternoon. They are all business students and will be doing unique activities that examine the business aspect of many industries here in Costa Rica; tomorrow for example we go to the cheese factory. I have never been, and I have no head for business, so it will be enlightening.

On Saturday I dropped my first group of at the Liberia Airport and it was bittersweet: Friday night they presented all of the chaperones and the chofer with cards, small gifts and hugs. It was really touching! The restaurant we went to had an open air feel and a cool terrace, and was one of the more upscale I have been to: very fitting for our "last supper."
After the drop-off Ronny and I drove to Monteverde...what a change from the beach! Its cool but humid here, and I while earlier in the day I was comfortable in my tank top, I felt chilled without any other jacket. Sadly the majority of my mountain-appropriate clothing is still at Mayi's in Heredia! My rainboots, heavy duty raincoat, and assorted sweatshirts. Right now I only have one sweatshirt, and just tennis shoes. Its not enough! Layering is required. I think on Wednesday night a nother chaperone is arriving from Heredia, and she will bring my bag for me. Yesterday I had a relaxing day off, and had a chance to do a little hiking and check out a new restaurant in Cerro Plano, the village I'm in. (Monteverde refers to the larger area: like how I live in Harrison Township but say I'm from Dayton)The food was decent, but the prices high.
Right now I am not alone in Casas del Toro, the CPI apartments close to the school. Sonia, another chaperone, is also here with her group this week. Its nice having a room-mate: I get so bored otherwise.

I have been having trouble adjusting in some ways...my mind is not adjusting as quickly as I'd hoped to my new environment. That is to say, my speaking ability hasn't been what i want it to be. I keep tripping over words and grammar: my mind has not fully made the switch to Spanish from English. Its frustrating: when I am tired I zone out and concentration is required to understand what is said to me, or I have to have things repeated. More than ever I detest talking on the phone. I really want to take a class just for phone etiquette: having to call and talk for some reason ends up as a mental disconnect for me. This is something I hope to work on and improve, especially as this summer continues.

So such is life right now: saying goodbye to one group, and getting acquainted with another...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Write here, about you and your blog.
 
Copyright 2009 Aventuras Ticas All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes