I just experienced my second earthquake here in Costa Rica.
According to my co-worker, we felt it more strongly because we were sitting down...for a second I thought to myself "wow I feel dizzy" but then realized it was my chair shaking, and not my head.
Earthquakes are not uncommon here, 5.3 tremble in Nicoya (which can be seen from the front of the school on a clear day) was what we just experienced here. Apparently it was strongly felt in Puntarenas... Its actually pretty comical that there is an earthquake, and that life continues as normal here. The phones are still ringing, students are still in class, and internet is still working. You would never know that there was just an earthquake...
Yesterday was Independence Day here in Costa Rica. I got to watch the parades and spend time with students and teachers observing and taking pictures (with 2 cameras, the school's and mine). It was beautful, lots of waving flags and bright colors, the sound of school bands and drumlines pounding, coreographed dances, the whole world seemed to be crammed on the sidewalks, watching. The parade (desfile) started at the gym at the high school in downtown Santa Elena, and went through and around most of the town in a loop. I got some good pictures, and some good sun...my face is pink. Thats fine by me, I need to get some color after being here in the mountains and losing my tan. And speaking of tanning...
Today begins my 3 day weekend: I think tomorrow I will be heading to Puntarenas centro, and hitting the beach for a bit. During lunch today I am going to go buy my ticket at the bus station...grab a bite and then come back to school. On Saturday I might go to the city for a little while, downtown San Jose, and on Sunday return in the afternoon.
Shortly a good friend of mine will be leaving Costa Rica: Munira Issa, who was my CPI chaperona 2 years ago and has been my co-worker the last two summers. Muni is one of a kind, and I will miss her very much. She is returning home to Suriname after living in Costa Rica for the last 3 years, and after making her mark on the town of Monteverde. People come and go...Sometimes its hard to accept that things are so transient. But part of living and learning is appreciating the moments you spend with people, long or short. Time with Muni has definately been memorable!
Pura Vida...
0 comments:
Post a Comment