So today I encountered a student who I am pretty sure will drive me crazy the next three weeks.
She is an older woman in her late 50s early 60s, and is absolutely ADD. It took me about an hour to do an orientation that normally takes about 20 mins...talk about frustrating. Every time I started talking she interrupted me with a story that would move to another subject, and then complained to me that orientation was taking too long. HER FAULT!!! I just hope that is not me when I get older. Old people and ADD make for a very bad combination... patience, calm.
What a quick Monday...today I had only two new students, one from the Netherlands. How do you say the Netherlands in Spanish, you may wonder?? "Holanda." Yeah, I just learned that today.
This weekend really flew by too...on Friday I traveled by bus 3.5 hours to downtown Puntarenas. I spent a couple days there last summer with one of my groups, and it was cool to walk around (I must have walked like 20 mins after sitting all day!) and see some familiar sites: the restaurant that I made my kids walk too, the portion of the beach where there was a huge carnival, another restaurant...the hotel was too far from the bus stop I needed, so I didn't walk all the way there. Instead I ate some over priced garlic clams and had a Fresca before catching the 8pm bus to Esparza, which was only 30-35 mins away.
Saturday I went to San Jose and observed a friend's final presentation in Portuguese...I am really amazed at how similar Portuguese is to Spanish, nothing more than different pronunciation and some vocab. But very similar! Then I went back to Esparza and ate Chinese food.
Sunday I went to downtown Puntarenas again, this time during the day. There were lots of people out on the beach, and it was pretty good weather! I think being on the Gulf of Nicoya has something to do with it, blowing the clouds away to Monteverde! I walked around and have decided I will never go swimming in the Gulf...apparently it is one of the most contaminated areas of Costa Rica. That is ironic because I saw a baula sea turtle swimming around! I went out on the pier too, where the cruise ships come in. I hear that they do not let Ticos enter the pier area during cruise season because a lot of tourists end up getting robbed...sad but true about a community like this. On the whole Puntarenas can be summed up as being fishy and dirty...lots of trash and ceviche in every restaurant. Still, it was nice to visit. My shoulders got a little color.
Fotos later...Pura vida!
0 comments:
Post a Comment