coffee/rice/beans

I have learned some valuable life lessons during my time here in Costa Rica: among them are such things like...

-always double check and reconfirm
-be flexible
-don't be afraid of wearing a shirt twice
-put salt and oil in rice to prevent sticking and blandness
-always pack flip flops
-be humble

No need to continue, you get the idea.
In the course of paying student loans, rent, and food, I have come to appreciate what it means to really be poor. Let's face it: I have WAY more than I need. Losing my camera was an eye-opener in this way. After losing it I found that I didn't need it as much as I thought I did...in the same way, as long as I have a place to sleep and food to eat I am doing just fine. That said, I have been eating a lot of rice and beans lately, and drinking a lot of coffee. Tortillas too have become normal fare...that is, until payday Monday.
Honestly, I have a lot. Too much even. I have seen what its like to live in real, REAL poverty. To not know when you will shower next, to not know when your next meal will be. I am blessed. And I am full.
Learning to enjoy simple things and to slow down has been a challenge. But one that is a learning opportunity.
Simple is beautiful.

Pura Vida

1 comments:

Dominic Faineant said...

Cousin, you're blog is both interesting and inspiring. You have a lot of good things to say and you're a very good writer.

Simplicity is a something I've always had a lot of respect for. One of favorite authors is Thoreau after all.

Hope all stays well with you, Guapa!

Post a Comment

Write here, about you and your blog.
 
Copyright 2009 Aventuras Ticas All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes