experience is an excellent teacher

This week there are 2 fairly new chaperonas in the office, so Clara and I have found ourselves explaining activities or tasks and showing them around. Mostly it has been me, as Clara is currently with one of the more delicate groups we have.

I know more than I thought I did! Being a chaperone is not a difficult task, but the challenge really depends on the group. Right now I am blessed to have a group of pretty laid back, interested and active kids. I have explained everything from airport pickup, to orientation and testing, ice breakers, first day procedures and who to contact for the class list, break times, touching base with kids after class, making student IDs, going on an Heredia City Tour, how to use the bus, the banks, families and travelling between campuses. It seems that I know how to do a little bit of everything!!
Sometimes I do get frustrated with myself for not being as confident as I should be. Part of how I trip myself up is thinking that I have more time to spare than I actually do. Another mistake is thinking "What would Muni do?" which often crosses my mind. Muni was an amazing chaperone and taught me everything I know, but I often forget that she ends up being an exception to some rules. Thinking what would Muni do (or wear!) has gotten me in trouble. What I have found that I need to do and focus on is being proactive, which is part of what my boss tells me. I hate dissapointing her, like when I did not come in pants to receive my group. I was wearing shorts, which she considered "too informal" though they were not by any means VERY short or inappropriate. But I was told that I had on a "play outfit," versus something more professional to receive my group. After being reprimanded I felt a little frustrated...this job doesn't require a pantsuit or a blazer, and my wardrobe is all jeans and khaki. My shorts were something Muni might have worn, and were not exposing me in any way. While I can see my boss's pertinent point, I still had to bite my tongue. Does that mean I shouldn't wear shorts in the heat of Playa Flamingo, where students come to class in their swim suits and without shoes? Talking with Muni about this afterwards made me feel a little better, and her pointing out that this is a stressful time and that chaperones should always be presentable...she said that even she has gotten a little flak lately for her dress. And Muni is the queen of personal style!

On the whole, the last couple days of explaining and showing new chaperones the ropes has strengthened my confidence in myself. I know how to do this job. The required basics are as follows:
-flexibility
-organization
-command of Spanish (essential! without Spanish you cannot do this job.)
-good with kids
-positive attitude (makes all the difference)
-problem solving
-physically active
-tranquilo/a

I have what it takes.

Pura vida.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Write here, about you and your blog.
 
Copyright 2009 Aventuras Ticas All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes