Today the group went to the Santa Elena Reserve, managed by the local high school and used as an outdoor classroom. CPI sends many groups to this reserve and not to the more well known Monteverde Reserve. The chofer and I were talking about the differences today...
Reserva Santa Elena
-entrance fees support local schools
-run by the local school
-less crowded
-cheaper entrance fee ($9 with student ID, $12 regular)
-accept CPI student ID and international ID
Reserva Monteverde
-run by different organization dedicated to preserving this part of the cloud forest
-larger groups on tours (30+ people)
-more expensive entrance fee ($17 regular)
- require international student ID
Honestly, I have never been to the Monteverde Reserve. I have always enjoyed the Santa Elena Reserve. Today we heard but did not see the infamous quetzal bird. The quetzal is endangered and this is an environment where it thrives. For a time I was thinking about a quetzal tattoo, but I don't think my Avia would approve. Hopefully I will see one next time I go! But truly I always enjoy a visit to the cloud forest. Its one of the most beautiful places in the world.
Yesterday my students weren't feeling too well. Some left class with sick stomachs, chills and fevers. We went to the local doctor and many of them have throat infections. I don't know how much I trust this doctor, honestly...an irritated throat would not result in a sick stomach. I haven't been 100% for the last day, but on the whole I feel fine. Just tired! I also had a late night with some friends on Tuesday, so I expected to feel a little tired. Yesterday I went to bed really early and plan to rest more today.
This weekend I am not sure what I will be doing yet...hopefully I will be able to rest more.
Pura Vida
0 comments:
Post a Comment