It is full blown winter weather up here in Monteverde. What does this mean?
Winter in Monteverde means that you are CRAZY to leave your house without rain gear. It means that you will be layering, that you wear socks and rainboots and that nothing is mas rico (more delicious) than a cup of coffee or tea in the afternoon. It means that when it rains, it POURS! In the evenings when you hear water all around you, pounding the roof and sloughing down the sides of your house, there are few things that sound better than getting under your blankets and letting the sound lull you to sleep. That is a sketch of winter...
Remember that the rain is what makes this mountain so beautiful and unique, that when the rain stops and there is a lingering humidity and cloud, that you see the cloud forest, everything! And taking a breath of pure, clean, green air you appreciate every little raindrop that makes this place what it is.
Meanwhile, I am wearing socks, a jacket, sipping on a cup of coffee and silently thanking my mom for my beautiful rainboots. They help to make winter a little cozier.
Speaking of winter, it looks like I will be heading back to Ohio come September. So for those of you in withdrawal, you can get a good dose of Meggie. I will be in Ohio indefinitely, with hopes to travel once in a while to Costa Rica. The tentative date of return is September 25th, just in time to greet my favorite season, fall.
You know, it seems that my cold tolerance has gone way down since being here. I have gotten very used to wearing shorts and short sleeves in the heat of Heredia, Puntarenas and Esparza. And naturally I will be coming back to the USA just in time for cold weather...Looking forward to layers and jackets. Such a clotheshorse, I know. Thinking I will leave most of my summer clothing here.
I have started to search for both cheap plane tickets and job opportunities. If you see (or hear) about either in Dayton, let me know! Especially if I can use my Spanish. I am ALL about Spanish, you know.
Yesterday I spoke with my Mom, Avia, and Tieta Tessa on Skype for almost an hour. It was so good to see them! Hear them! I wish I had been able to reach through and give them all hugs. These last few weeks I have been struggling with homesickness, with so many family events. I am looking forward to seeing everyone when I get back...there will be plenty of hugs to go around!!
PURA VIDA
0 comments:
Post a Comment