earthquakes and education

On Friday I received a new group from the University of North Carolina Wilmington.
That same afternoon, during their time in San Joaquin, Costa Rica experienced a 5.9 earthquake. I was outside on the corner, counting students as they were entering the bus, and felt the bus rocking. I thought, "Gosh what are those kids doing in there?" and then noticed the chain fence next to us shaking and thought..."This is an earthquake! Temblor!" As we drove through downtown Heredia there were many people outdoors and the chofer and I listened to the radio to get the scoop on how big the quake was, how long it lasted, and where the epicenter was located. That was only my fourth earthquake in Costa Rica, but definitely one of the strongest.
All in a day in Costa Rica.

This new group is made of some really great kids. I guess I shouldn't say kids, since they are all university students, but as part of my group I see them as my "kids"...They are all studying education, and I am very impressed with how observant and open they are.
Interacting with them and listening to some of what they talk about in their course has made me reflect on my own experience here, and the cultural things I have learned.

More later. Tuanis : )

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Write here, about you and your blog.
 
Copyright 2009 Aventuras Ticas All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes