What do I do online when I am not updating my blog?
Well there are the obvious things: Facebook and gmail, chatting on Skype with whoever is connected. But I have a few other things I find myself doing online, and quite regularly.
Checking cnn.com
Yes, I have made it a point to try and stay more on top of world events. I have students from all over the world, and I want to try and seem more aware of what's happening. I especially like CNN World, where you can see what is happening specifically in regions of the world like Europe or Africa...or Latin America. (Right now in Costa Rica there is a huge dispute going on between Nicaragua and Costa Rica concerning a certain San Juan river and the exact border between the two countries.)
From cnn.com, I find sites about travel.
Travel sites I check out a lot are AOL Travel, Concierge.com, National Geographic, the Travel Channel, and Real Simple. There are all sorts of interesting articles about things as simple as packing lists to "10 Things Flight Attendants Won't Tell You." I like knowing what the Top 10 Vacation Beaches are, and am often thrilled to find Costa Rica listed. I also like Travel Advisor, which I actually use a lot in helping students find lodging and form ideas for future trips of my own. Its also handy to know what places rank here in Monteverde: Hostel Monte Elena, for example, is exactly as its listed on Trip Advisor. I also look up info on places I still have to visit here in CR: beaches and parks and activities there, the cost of tours and what tour companies can take you there.
And from travel sites, I get the travel bug.
I find myself looking at the fluctuating costs of plane tickets to Spain or France, from Dayton and from Costa Rica. I've taken to looking for airport jobs, cruise line jobs, customer service and hospitality jobs, even jobs teaching English (which is my last resort!). All in preparation for someday possibly settling abroad, or at least getting to travel as much as I possibly can.
From travel sites I look at travel accessories: my new favorite backpacks are Lafuma, a French brand. Why are Lafuma packs so great? Because they all come with a rain cover. I also like looking at rain jackets, naturally, and comparing prices and reviews of different brands. You never realize how handy product reviews are, until you are considering buying something. I also am thinking about hiking boots. Because I don't have any, and getting some would be great for the future.
While reviewing all of these, I am brought back to earth by a very real fact. That I have very limited funding...someday I will travel, maybe have my own travel show (yes I have even checked what he requirements are to be part of the amazing race, and what it takes to get a show on the travel channel). For now I am happy to be where I am. Living in another country, living in and learning about another culture. creo que ya soy Tica de corazon.
Pura Vida
0 comments:
Post a Comment