socks

Its currently 6:30pm on a Sunday and I have just finished my 3rd cup of coffee for the day. No, I am not addicted, don't worry. Its just chilly and I don't want anymore tea.

Today has been exceptionally cold...but I think that also has something to do with how wet it is!! There has been rain on and off, and steady wind. My little wooden cabina has more cracks than can be seen with the naked eye. The air moves in and out and takes any and all heat with it! I love living here in the mountains, but sometimes I really miss the sun and the heat. I am almost always cold...even if its hot I don't find myself sweating too profusely, unless I am also doing some kind of physical activity. I am also extremely white, which I think gives away my gringa-ness. Although I had two people ask me yesterday if I was Tica! the highest of compliments.
In any case I am wearing socks, my cashmere blend cardigan and my heaviest sweatshirt. I wish I had a hat. Its a sleeping-with-socks kind of night tonight.
This is what living in the mountains is all about...beautiful sunsets and socks, haha! Oh Monteverde. It reminds me in so many ways of little, beautiful Minocqua, WI. My favorite place in the world.
But Costa Rica (in general) runs a close second: )

I had an interesting question asked of me the other day...if it has been hard adjusting to life here. After some thought, I have come to the conclusion that no, it has not been a challenge becoming used to the Tico way of life. There are some things I still struggle with: Tico time, in particular, and Pachuco (or Costa Rican slang). But on the whole I am used to the random and numerous dogs on the streets, the crazy traffic, bus system, Imperial, rice and beans, coffee, Mega Super,tp in the trashcans, white showerheads, tropical and beach and city. In many ways I have been primed to be open and flexible within another culture: my family background, my parents, especially my Avia. Also spending the last two summers here helped! Things were not so unfamiliar. Looking back at my experiences, I am actually kind of impressed with myself. Here I am living in another country, alone, and experiencing something totally different from the majority of my peers...how many other kids from my graduating class are doing the same thing?? From high school?? From college?? This is once in a lifetime, this is unique, this is way off the beaten path. I am so lucky.
Sometimes before we begin an adventure or a journey, we may look at the road ahead and think, "How the hell am I going to do this? Will I make it? What if I don't know what to do?" This is the fear that keeps us from beginning our travels, or the uncertainty that holds us back because we want a schedule, a plan, a guarantee. But I have found that the only thing to do is to GO, to DO. Quit worrying about knowing where you are going, travelling is about getting lost, discovering new places and enjoying where you are. Be open to new things, don't be afraid to take a first step. Because we do not know what the future is like, and the only thing to do is LIVE your life to get there.
I can honestly say that I never saw myself doing what I am doing now. How could I have known that I would be living in another country, working where I am now? This journey has been incredible, a blessing, and an adventure every day. No regrets. My life is so beautiful, and I am so blessed. Gracias a Dios.

Pura Vida

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Write here, about you and your blog.
 
Copyright 2009 Aventuras Ticas All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes