Have you ever ridden on a public bus? Then you understand the frustration of not finding a seat when you have to ride. You stand and you stand and every time the bus stops you look around to see if anyone is getting off, and if you can snag a spot to sit down. Well imagine that you board the bus and not only are there no seats, but that it is already full. The only place to sit, instead of stand the whole way is a spot on the floor. And that the roads are not paved the whole way, and you have to endure the last hour and a half of your journey bumping your butt and the back of your head against the side of the bus. And you are surrounded by gringos, and next to you is a silent girl and you have to go to the bathroom. This is the bus ride to Monteverde on Sunday. I like to think that I can handle any situation, that nothing is too tough for me, nothing is too dirty or too extreme. That I can handle everything. But bus rides to Monteverde... may leave my butt a little sore, and my insides a little shaken, and worse for the wear.
I spent last weekend in Heredia with my Familia Tica. I left Monteverde early Saturday morning, and arrived around 11am in Heredia. My Mama Tica and I spent the whole afternoon in the city, window shopping and hanging out and chatting. I got some small gifts for my "Amigo Secreto," since we are doing a Secret Santa at CPI.
On Sunday I headed home.
This week has been fairly slow. I have only one new student, a man from France. He actually has pretty good Spanish, just that he is learning more about vocabulary and pronunciation. I love having students like that! He is here for 5 weeks.
The weather has changed again...it is windy and chilly, but not rainy. This is Christmas weather...
Right now I am missing the fall weather back home in Dayton. I want a bite of pumpkin ice cream, and a slice of pumpkin pie, and to smell the leaves falling and rotting and woodsmoke. The smells and tastes and sights of fall...Dayton, Ohio. Thinking of my hometown.
Pura Vida
0 comments:
Post a Comment