what i miss most

It seems appropriate, just after Thanksgiving, to talk a little about what I miss.
Thanksgiving being one of the first things. This is a purely American holiday...and even more familiar (familiar meaning family-oriented) than Christmas. I am feeling pretty homesick thinking of my two favorite foods: cranberry jello and pumpkin pie. But mom has promised me a pie for Christmas!

Most of what i fiind myself missing while I am here has a lot to do with nostalgia, sentimentality. Its not the Wal-Marts or the numerous traffic lights (since there aren't many here, and ZERO in Monteverde). Its the feeling of walking or driving down the street and seeing familiar things, places, faces. I miss seeing the post office, or the restaurant or the store where I used to go with my mom, room-mates, friends. There are other material things I miss too...TV and peanut butter, washer and dryer, going to the mall and the ease of jumping in a car and going where-ever I want. I miss the expanse of my closet, watching movies with Nate, texting my friends, talking with mom in the kitchen. Ah but you can see there how my list moves from material...to sentimental.
I go home in a little over two weeks...I got more time to visit, instead of just one week I will have two. I am glad, considering the Holidays and the expensive ticket!

Some things I plan to do once I am home:

1. haircut. its been a year and my split ends are starting to bother me...my hair looks ratty.
2. STARBUCKS. there will be a frantic run through the airport...because I want my first taste of the USA to be Starbucks. I miss my sugary coffee flavored drinks.
3. movies. Yes, go to the movies.
4. pumpkin pie. Pumpkin pie at Christmas? you bet...I missed Thanksgiving.
5. UD. Go back to good old college...visit Catering and friends who are still there!
6. friends. There are several friends I want to visit. How to go about doing it I'm not sure! Since I cannot drive.
7. Movies with the parents. Dad and I have to watch the Bourne Trilogy, Mom and I West Side Story and My Fair Lady.

That is all that comes to mind for now. I am sure to think of more later.

Right now I am in the Central Park of Esparza with Irma Arellys, Elliott's sister. Later today we are heading to Puntarenas, and from there i will leave to go back to Monteverde.

How was my Thanksgiving you may wonder? Well, Grettel and I found a cheaper place to live so we spent all of Thursday afternoon moving our things to the new house (its a little smaller, but thats ok! we are savinga lot, and it has a washer. We did have to go buy mattresses, but its ok. I will sell it when I leave). So once again...non-traditional! But I am extremely thankful for all I have in my rich life, especially the opportunities I have right here, right now.

Looking forward to going home for a while...because there are some things I miss.

Pura Vida

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Write here, about you and your blog.
 
Copyright 2009 Aventuras Ticas All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes