Topic: Music
One thing I always like to try and teach my groups is the difference between the popular types of music here. The top three are of course, salsa, merengue and cumbia. Other popular types are reggae, reggaeton and pop. You even hear some popular English songs on the radio. But no matter where you go, you can always find the rhythms of those top three.
It was a chofer from CPI who taught me to train my uneducated ear and catch the differences in the beat, the rhythm and bounce of these types of music. I can say to that I have some small talent in dancing to all of them, though my true love would have to be salsa. Merengue is the easiest to dance too, and pretty recognizable. Sometimes there is a fine difference between certain types of salsa and merengue, while any type of cumbia is immediately recognizable. Cumbia, being so unique, is a little harder to dance to. The little jump step always leaves me stumbling for the following step, throwing me off in a way that salsa doesn't. I just don't know what to do with my feet after the jump-step! Thus cumbia is great to watch...but dancing to it can be challenging.
Other types of popular music include: soca, bachata, swing.
I happen to like bachata a lot, though I am just now learning to dance to it. The style of dance involves a lot more personal contact and you really have to be able to move to it... Learning it well will be a challenge for me.
I love music!! There is always some background sound in my world.
Pura Vida
0 comments:
Post a Comment