mountain love

A week ago I arrived here in Monteverde, after saying goodbye to my group at the airport at 4:30 in the morning. I slept a few more hours and then left to go up the mountain in the huge CPI bus, empty except for me and the chofer. We encountered some traffic on the road, along with several landslides in the process of being cleaned up. We arrived almost two hours later than anticpated.
On Sunday I met up with my future room-mate and we cleaned our little cabina out, going through all the rooms and getting rid of junk being stored there, sweeping the floors, checking the sinks and windows. On Monday afternoon we moved in! This weekend we are celebrating our first full week there.

On Monday I also began my new job here at CPI Monteverde: Student Coordiinator. My job includes a lot of the following:
-orientation for new and transfer students
-organizing activities and tours
-arranging and confirming transportation for students
-inputting student info into online databases
-taking pictures of activities
-writing vouchers and charging students for activities and transportation
-turning in financial reports on Fridays
-memorization
-marketing

Today is Friday and the end of my first week in this position; there are still things I am learning on the fly, and somethings I can do without thinking already. As I continue on and gain experience we will see how it goes. I might stay in this job if I do well, and not return to groups!! That will be determined in December.

A typical overcast day here, there has already been a drizzle and I snagged a snack during break while talking to my four students here this week. Tonight my room-mate (house-mate?) and I plan to relax and do some more organizing of the house.
After finishing my last group I had to turn in my cell phone, and am currently without and kind of communication other than internet on this work computer. You also may not see me as much on Skype, as I am now using a different name and account connected to all CPI personnel at all three campuses. Butu keep an eye out for me after 5pm (my time). Hopefully I can get a cell phone in the next two weeks.

Also next week I will be making my first trip back to the States since May, for Katie and Ben's wedding. After my bout of homesickness I am ready to see all my best friends again for a few days. I plan to leave Tuesday afternoon and head down the moountain via bus to Heredia, stay overnight and leave the following day on my afternoon flight. No way am I risking coming down the same day, when things like traffic or weather could ruin my trip. All I want to worry about is getting to the airport in time day-of!
I do have another big concern: coming back to Costa Rica. I still do not have my ticket to go home in December, and I am hoping that I will be allowed to re-enter the country without any document detailing my plans to leave. I know folks who have done it, but I am nervous taking chances when I have invested so much here now with renting a house and a steady job. Hopefully I have no problems! I look fairly innocent, right?

Overall very much enjoying my time here in the mountains, Monteverde is definately where I feel most at home in this country, and I love it.

Pura Vida

ps. house pictures to come soon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Write here, about you and your blog.
 
Copyright 2009 Aventuras Ticas All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes