plenty of water to go around...

There is only one word to describe today: wet.

This morning I woke up to rain drumming on the roof of the cabina, and darkness outside. It must have been 6am, and it was already pouring! Since rain typically comes in the afternoon, this did not bode well for the start of a relaxing Saturday. I finally woke up around 9am, which is significant because I have been getting up at 5:30am all week long. Grettel (my house-mate) showed me how to make tortillas, ad we ate a nice breakfast of fruit salad and cheese tortillitas. Yum! I have not yet had my daily cup of coffee, since we have three different kinds of juice right now.
Our little fridge is pretty full too, we made rice the other day and we also have a container of beans, a whole box of veggies (I love the veggies here, they are super fresh and super cheap!! amazing combination!)and a bottle of yogurt. The last few days we have been making all our meals together and eating together, which I am really enjoying. We talk a lot and are getting to know each other much better...Grettel is fairly reserved, I think, so I am still finding ways to open up more.
After breakfast we cleaned...I should say Grettel cleaned. She has really stepped up to the plate in terms of being organized and taking the lead in cleaning and cooking. I try to fill in and anticipate what needs to be done or how best I can help, but sometimes I end up feeling a little silly. With more time I am sure we will fall into a better rhythm, I want to do chores too!
It has been raining most of the afternoon and morning, Grettel and I left the house to get connected to the internet. Luckily we have several options very close to us, places where you can go to buy a cup of coffee and use the wifi. We are both interested in somehow getting wifi at the house.

Today I feel very much like one of those over-prepared tourists. You know, the ones outfitted with the quick-drying pants, all terrain shoes, rain jacket and backpack stuffed with guidebook/flashlight/waterbottle/map, with a bandana around their forhead. I am wearing my raincoat and red rainboots, with my backpack, and a flashlight stuffed in my dry bag. In addition my computer is wrapped snuggly in a plastic bag...yes, its one of those rainy days, and I look like a tourist.
The rain has made the day a cold one too, so I am wearing a hoodie and a scarf around my neck, along with socks. I have actually been sleeping with socks, which if you know me is something I generally dislike doing since I get hot. But with the chilly mountain nights, I am very glad I brought a lot of my winter socks with me.
Something I have been looking at getting is a new backpack...my LLBean one has lasted me for quite some time, but the lining in the bottom pocket is starting to wear away and I am finding that I wish I had some other features in a backpack...one of them being, very appropriately, a rain cover! And compression straps, and a large capacity (thinking 1,000+ cubic inch interior). On the whole i have to say that there are some investments I am very glad I made before coming down here: my 5,000+ cu. in. backpack, and two raincoats. (Grettel is actually using one today, haha!)
It might be time to invest in a new backpack...

In four days i will hopefully be heading back to the USA for the first time in over 3 months. This summer has gone so fast...with the start of September begins the approach of fall, my favorite season. I will miss it very much this year. One thing I won't miss...going back to school! But best of luck to everyone who is starting classes out there.

TUANIS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Write here, about you and your blog.
 
Copyright 2009 Aventuras Ticas All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes