arroz y frijoles...lo tipico

There are some things I really love about this country: part of me is wondering how I ever survived without rice and beans in my diet, for example. Every day I find myself craving a casado right around lunch time. I wish I could have gallo pinto for breakfast every day! But that requires cooking, and I don't really have the time or resources right now.
I also love the fruits here. Having fresh fruit is awesome, healthy, DELISH!Going to restaurants I always ask for a "natural" drink in water, although they can also be made with milk. But the milk makes it very think, almost like a milkshake, and I end up being thirsty all over again! There is a little place nearby that makes their own fruit juice daily, and the process is pretty simple: chop up fruit and blend it until its juice! Really doesn't get much fresher.
Aside from the food, I love the music. Turning on the radio and listening to salsa and merengue really make my day! I have fond memories of travelling with the chofers and and listening to them sing along to the songs: last summer I learned how to tell the difference between all the different styles. Listening I find myself bobbing my head along to a given beat, closing my eyes and imagining the dance steps in my mind. Along with music I love how everyone here knows how to dance! Salsa is my favorite, and I LOVED dancing with Gerry (my co-worker) last summer. There could be definite improvements in my merengue and cumbia...actually I cannot dance cumbia at all!

Some things I do not like as much: the bugs, the rain. The bus system is pretty frustrating also, as it appears disorganized and can be pretty crowded. I will never forget Jessica's ordeal with buses last summer: I feel really spoiled having a chofer or transport always available to me. My driver's license doesn't matter too much here: its more for ID than anything else. The highways are annoying too. Because a highway is pretty much a two lane road!
At the same time though, I realize that these are things that are typical of many Latin American countries and are not exclusive to Costa Rica. Infrastructure is the keyword here: it could be improved. Complaining about it is futile. All the same, it is a contributor to my dislikes about this country...
Also how expensive things are here, like soap and shampoo and toothpaste. Its not cheap! I plan to buy when I am back in the USA, where its $2 for a family size bottle of Suave instead of $6 for only 12oz!! Lotion and soap could easily be very big drains. Now I am glad I got a brand new toothbrush before I left...(haha Mama!)

On the whole I admit that there is a part of me that is thinking about getting a cell phone here, a bank account, renting a house and living in the mountains eating rice and beans, sleeping in a hammock. But I think at the same time, that I would miss my bed, and the seasons, and Thanksgiving.
Its a funny inbetween place for me right now. Casi Tica, but still Americana. And still a gringa.
Maybe eventually I can be mistaken for Tica? After a year, I just might be.
More later.

PURA VIDA

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Write here, about you and your blog.
 
Copyright 2009 Aventuras Ticas All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes