Today I went rappelling for the first time with my group. And not just any kind of rappelling....WATERFALL rappelling.
Once again we left late from our meeting point (this is a point of great frustration for me with this group; we NEVER do anything on time. for those that know me you can imagine how frustrated I am about that!)and arrived barely on time to the rappelling place, led by our guides driving a blue pickup. Then we hiked to the waterfall and the cahperone and I proceeded to translate what the students were expected to do in terms of safety and positioning. I was the first to be harnessed and helmeted, providing a visual to all the students. I demonstrated and explained, despite never having done the activity before. I waited until everyone had gone except me and two other girls before finally putting my helmet back on and being guided down with an other on of the students. It was really exhilarating; I got completely soaked! Upon reaching the bottom I was FREEZING! But what an adrenaline rush, with the noise of the water and my hands cramped from holding the rope so tightly. I was on such an amazing natural high!! It seems that the activities I do are slowly turning me into an adrenaline junkie...By the time all of the students were done it was 2:30pm, so we booked it back to CPI and we got pizza for a VERY late lunch! I ran around getting lunch money, reminding students of class times, and finally grabbing a bite myself. I just finished stapling together info for the student's homestays in the coming week: the smell of the waterfall is starting to get old on my skin! Going home to shower in a bit.
The day before I went with my group to the Poas Volcano: it was beautiful! We were very fortunate to see the volcano at all, due to the elevation, clouds, and steam that usually combine to hide it from view. I got a few good pictures, to be posted later. The guide assigned to our group has really worked out well, and I am glad we get along. Sometimes guides and chaperones butt heads, but I have been really lucky with easy going guides so far! That same evening the group went to the mall for a movie night and saw "A-Team." It was really good and I liked it! I couldn't help thinking of dad while watching; it was action movie I know he would like! By 10pm we finally had all the students home and I collapsed into bed.
Tomorrow I go whitewater rafting! I am looking forward to it a lot: Sonia and Diana, two other chaperones, are also going with us as part of their training. Neither of them have gone rafting with a group like this before. I hope everything goes well and no one falls out of the raft! With some of this group I can already feel my hair turning gray...
Still working on being more tranquila. Leslie would be proud of me.
Pura Vida : )
0 comments:
Post a Comment