-sport sandals
Think chacos, teva or keen. You will use them everywhere you go, especially for water activities in the bosque. And they double as hiking shoes.
-rain boots
If you come in the rainy season, you will need them, especially in the mountains. You will still need them in the dry season, even though its the dry season.
-rain coat
Have it with you at all times. In your bag or backpack, because you will be miserable without it!
-digital camera
Take pictures. There are so many sights you will want to remember, but make sure you have your own battery charger, and a backup camera (you never know) because travel can be rough. Have a good camera case!
-bug spray
If you go to Puntarenas, you better be prepared for some serious mosquitoes. The beach in general is not always the beautiful breezy place you imagine it to be. There are lots of bugs!
-sun screen
You are closer to the equator. No matter how tan you are, the sun here is strong. Be sure to apply sunscreen everyday, especially on your face. Before you realize it you maybe crispy! Take SPF 30 (MINIMUM) or above. No arguements!
-sunglasses
You will like having them (see above: strong sun). For the city, the beach and the mountains sunglasses are going to be a plus! And you always look hip.
-jacket or fleece
While you may be in a tropical clime, it can still get pretty chilly at night, especially after a rain shower. Its always a good idea to have a jacket with you, to keep away the chill especially in the mountains.
The following are things that I have learned about Tico culture while I have been here, that aren't mentioned in the guidebooks at all. This comes from experience.
-Cologne and Perfume
Everyone wears it. For the most part, no matter your occupation, you always wear your personal scent and don't leave the house without applying it! Smelling good is a priority and a cultural norm. (I am going to get some perfume when I get home...)
-Transportation
Car, motorbike, motorcycle, atv...all are normal, and considered family vehicles. Not unusual to see three people on a motorbike or atv, and totally normal to see a kid driving, especially in rural areas. Main mode of transportation? Bus. And its not your Greyhound...be sure to do your homework before hopping on a bus. You can never be totally sure where you will end up, just ask Jessica!
-"Adios"
Ladies, adios is no longer just a goodbye. When walking in the street its not uncommon to have men say "adios" and to mean "hey honey!" The trick to handling these situations is simple: walk with a group, hold your head up high, and ignore it totally.
-Facial Expressions
While Ticos can be the most friendly and helpful people, they may not always seem so at first glance. Most people wear a pretty tough expression, which can be intimidating at first. The secret to looking more native is to wear a jaded, gaurded expression. Underneath, be your regular bubbly self. I think this may be a trait common to most Latin American countries, but it rings true in Costa Rica.
That is all for now. I will write more later as I reflect more...
For tonight I am relaxing at home and trying to finish reading a book. Last night I had dinner with Jennifer, who also works at CPI. We had some delicious enchiladas and some great girl talk! On Thursday we have plans to get sushi in Sta. Elena and go to a play at the Quaker school in the evening! Jennifer is such a sweetie, I am so glad to have a friendship with her!
Pura Vida : )
0 comments:
Post a Comment