volcanoes, surf, mud and going meatless

Day 13 of my West Coast tour and doing great. I haven't had any disasters or hospital visits, but i should bite my tongue. You never know.

We already visited Monteverde: planting tress and making terraces at a local farm, Life Monteverde. Service work was followed by a zipline tour, which my kids loved, and disco night at Bar Amigos where I caught up with Muni and Adrian, Gerry, Arelys, Royner and Clara. Too bad the change of climate made me feel miserable!!!!!!!! In Monteverde we also bid farewell to Don Mario, who had been our chofer for the first week. He was replaced by a STV chofer who I know, and the kids like him but don't love him the way they did Don Mario. I however, have gotten fond of him and his antics. If a good piece of salsa comes on, he glances over his shoulder to ask if I am busy...if I want to stop and dance!! Haha, he is a good guy.

After Monteverde we went to Arenal Volcano, where we arrived to clear weather and a great view. Our one night stay was highlighted by a trip to the hot springs, where the kids had fun running up and down to different pools and the chaps and I relaxed and bonded. I think I boiled my feet in one particularly hot pool, so I stuck to the pools close to the bar, which are more pleasantly warm. We left the next day in rainy weather, and the volcano hidden by clouds.

The long leg of the trip was leaving Arenal and going to Playa Flamingo. Four hours in bus, going around Lake Arenal and then past the airport in Liberia, all the way to Tamarindo. We had surf lessons and free time to explore and do some souvenir shopping. Beautiful beach day, even though the skies were overcast. The next day we did service work at a local grade school, painting the inside. The compliment of the day was that we were by far the most organized West Coast group who had worked there, and we got done in good time. The rest of the afternoon was spent at Playa Penca, playing frisbee and tanning, enjoying the waves. I got a little color! In the evening we went to dinner and afterwards back to Tamarindo for disco night. We ended up at Club Aqua, and I was recognized by some Georgia Southern University boys (who were part of Jessica's group). Funny! What a small town. We had fun dancing and got back around 11pm.

Leaving beautiful Playa Flamingo we had some quality relax time at Hacienda Guachepelin, right by the Rincon de la Vieja Volcano. We arrived in the early afternoon and lunched, then went on horseback to a beautiful waterfall! and afterwards a mudbath. Well, it was more of a paint-the-mud-on-and-wash-it-off type of thing, but it was funny and an interesting spa like experience. The following day we did river tubing, which was GREAT!! I would do it again, it was so much fun! And in the afternoon caught some rays by the pool and then as it clouded over opted to go to Liberia for a movie (Charlie St. Cloud).

This morning we had a sleep-in and left for another long trip, this time to Alajuela where we will be doing service with Habiitat for Humanity. Our hotel in Lands in Love, which is remote, to say the least. The road here made me a little dizzy, and I have never been bother by twists and turns (especially not after living in Monteverde!). It is secluded but beautiful...and reminds me a lot of San Vito. The staff are a mix of Tico and Israeli, and my kids think they look like zombies. The hotel is cute...and everything is vegetarian. On the way here I saw signs every 100 meters advertising animal friendly food, soy burgers, vegetarian fare. So it will be a meatless diet for a while (luckily I am not a huge fan of red meat to begin with). My chofer bought himself cereal before we arrived. The place is...a little wierd, to say the least. Oh, did I mention there is absolutely no cell phone service? But at least there is internet. Thus my lengthy post. Feel free to skype me the next couple evenings.

I am still feeling like crap. Even after taking antibiotics, my cold hasn't left me. But I think it has gone from a cold to a virus...I cough phlem and have to blow my nose regularly. I need to see a doctor, but do not have an opportunity. I have been taking pills to get by, but what I really need is some good rest. It's not any easier going to and from, in and around so many different environments. Mountain to beach to valley, it keeps messing up my system. I finish every day exhausted, and feel like taking a nap every day around 2pm. Very much looking forward to finishing this tour, and taking it easy. My first stop is a doctor's office. I am sick of being...sick!
I need to recover.

Bueno...pura vida.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Write here, about you and your blog.
 
Copyright 2009 Aventuras Ticas All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes