"matando fiebre"

Elliott explained to me what "matando fiebre" means..killing the fever. I'll explain in a bit.

This past weekend I went to Upala to meet my father-in-law and some of Elliott's extended family.

I left Friday afternoon from work a little early, anticipating Friday traffic and Tico time for the bus. By 6pm I was on the bus to Upala, Elliott getting on in Esparza. We napped a bit and then I ate ravenously at our 15 minute bus stop (the trip from San Jose to Upala is around 5 hours). Around 10pm we arrived to downtown Upala and hopped in a taxi for the bumpy 30 minute ride to San Jorge, the tiny town where Elliott is from. We got there around 10:30pm and greeted Elliott's mom and younger sister, who were still up. By 11pm we were sleeping, exhausted. Travel takes it out of you!
On Saturday I got up late (8:30am...not that late you think, but consider I usually get up between 6 and 6:30am!) and had a great big breakfast with the family. Elliott's son lives with his grandma, and two of his nieces were there while their mom was at classes in downtown. Tortillas, gallo pinto, scrambled eggs, cheese, coffee. Elliott still forgets that I don't drink sugar with my coffee, haha! Elliott spent the morning and early afternoon doing house chores and I played with the nieces. Later I helped make a refresco for lunch, with the starfruit Kendall collected from the yard (imagine having a starfruit tree next to your house! YUM). We all ate and afterwards Elliott, Kendall and I went on a trip to visit Don Lupe, Elliott's dad (my father-in-law) who I had never met. We drove about 10 minutes to the farm where he works as the manager, and then to his house were we had some coffee and met his wife and extended family (Elliott's step-mom and some half siblings. His father has re-married, while his mother is single and lives with Kendall in her own house). He is a very tall, serious man and Elliott takes after him a LOT. He was very sweet and welcoming, and made sure to speak to me slowly and clearly. We hugged at our goodbye. Afterwards we drove to Veracruz, where some of his aunts and cousins live, another 15 minutes. I met some more aunts and cousins, got lots of hugs and shook many hands, and felt extremely welcome. Then we headed back to San Jorge to get ready to leave...Elliott got a call to work on Sunday.

(By the way, the whole time I GOT TO DRIVE!
"Mataste el fiebre, eh?"/ "You killed the fever, huh?" Elliott told me.
"Yeah, I haven't driven in months!" I loved every minute behind the wheel, even when I had to go over some really sketchy bridges. I killed the fever, haha!)

Saturday afternoon we rushed to the bus station to catch the bus to Canas, and from there we caught a bus to Esparza. It was raining when we walked to Elliott's house, and we were both tired.
Sunday we got up at 4am to catch the bus for Jaco, where Elliott picked up some tourists to go to Arenal Volcano for the day. I stayed on the beach and...burned. It was overcast when I arrived and set up between two palm trees, and then promptly fell asleep. When I woke, I was roasting. When will I learn???
I got mistaken for gringa at every turn too, with my backpack. I hate that. In the afternoon I took the bus back to San Jose, and from there I got a ride back to San Joaquin with a chofer from CPI (how random to run into him at a gas station in the capital!!!!! he was so nice, we chatted and he dropped me off at my Familia).
I slept early, watching 13 Going on 30 with Nidia.

Jam-packed weekend! But it was really fulfilling, meeting my new family and getting to spend time with Elliott. I like Upala and how simple it is, despite how hot it can be. I think we will go back one more time before I leave! I hope so anyway, if Elliott isn't to busy.

Pura vidaaaaaaaaaaa!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Write here, about you and your blog.
 
Copyright 2009 Aventuras Ticas All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes